Friday 1 March 2013

Lola was born on 7 July 2012 and it was the happiest day of my life...

We were lucky enough to stay in The Sick Children’s Trust’s Eckersley House for four weeks last July when our daughter, Lola, was born with Gastroschisis – a condition which affects 1 in 5000 unborn babies. Lola was born on 7 July 2012 and it was the happiest day of my life, but that happiness soon turned to panic when we were told by the doctors that because of her condition and her bowels being on the outside of her body she would require urgent care – she was booked in to undergo surgery the next day to try and repair her bowels. Lola was our primary concern but at that point we also had to face the issue of where we could stay. Our home was in Huddersfield and neither myself nor my partner, Michael, wanted to leave her side. That was when one of the midwives at Leeds General Infirmary told me about The Sick Children’s Trust’s ‘Home from Home’ Eckersley House. She kindly spoke to the house manager, Jane, and arranged everything. Having this respite just across from the hospital helped Lola and I to bond when she was born. As a first time mum I was worried that we might not be able to establish a strong relationship, but thanks to the close location of Eckersley House I could be there with Lola all the time. I genuinely believe that having Michael and I around also helped her recovery. The doctors had told me Lola would have to stay in 6-12 weeks but amazingly she was allowed home after just 4 weeks. The Sick Children’s Trust helped me more than words can say. I was so scared that I wouldn’t have money to travel every day and that I might miss the beginning of her life. But because of this amazing charity I could go and see her whenever I liked, which put my mind at rest. Two days before Lola was discharged she was allowed out of the hospital for the day and I took her to Eckersley House. All we did was sit down and relax, and for the first time we felt like a proper family. All the staff there were so helpful and I can’t thank them enough for allowing me to be with my daughter. Paige Wood, Lola’s mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.