Sunday 13 May 2012

Scarlett and me





When my young daughter Scarlett was involved in a horrific train accident she had to be rushed to Sheffield Children’s Hospital to undergo emergency surgery. After thirteen hours of surgery Scarlett was moved to the intensive care unit to recover from the trauma. I felt completely overwhelmed, exhausted and terrified about the fragile state of my daughter. On top of this I also had to worry about where I was going to stay so that I could be close by to Scarlett.

Fortunately the nurses at the hospital told me about Treetop House, free accommodation only a lift ride from the ward, provided by The Sick Children’s Trust. It felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders knowing that I could stay so close to Scarlett and have access to a warm, comfortable ‘Home from Home’ environment. Treetop House had everything I needed from a well equipped kitchen to quiet areas when I could go to have some time to myself when things got too difficult to bear in the intensive care unit.

When Scarlett’s injuries began to improve I was able to take her up to my room and show her where I was staying. I know it was a comfort to her to know that I was never far away. The staff were all incredibly supportive and even played with Scarlett when she came to visit which she clearly enjoyed. Another wonderful aspect of the house was the direct phone line between my room and Scarlett’s ward; it was reassuring to know that night or day I could be at her side in an instant.
I met a number of other families who were staying at Treetop House and although we all were going through very troubling times, we were united by our shared situation and formed very close bonds. The other families, alongside the always attentive staff, acted as a much needed web of support for which I am very thankful.

Scarlett is now improving dramatically and has started to walk unaided with her walking frame. Whilst Scarlett is getting better I know she will have many more operations in future and it is wonderful to know that Treetop House will always be there to support us. I am so grateful to The Sick Children’s Trust and only hope that more families can benefit from the wonderful service they provide.

By Sam, Scarlett’s Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.